Job Title:Foster Care Program Supervisor
Department:Child & Family Services
Division:Foster Care Program
Reports To:Director, Child & Family Services
Written By:Director, Child & Family Services
Approved By:Chief Executive Officer
Date Revised:June 2013
Job Summary:The Foster Care Program Supervisor oversees and coordinates services of the Casa de los Niños Foster Care Program.
The Foster Care Program Supervisor oversees the Foster Care Program by accomplishing the following responsibilities. He or she:
- Possesses the ability and attitude to work and respond to the needs of a culturally diverse population.
- Hires, supervises, and evaluates Foster Care Program employees.
- Supervises social work students’ fieldwork at both bachelor and master levels.
- Supervises or accomplishes admission assessments and discharge summaries for each child in residence. In addition causes social histories to be developed on all voluntarily admitted children.
- Supervises the accurate recording of appropriate and pertinent information into each family’s electronic and paper charts.
- Supervises or provides orientation for potential Foster Parents inquiring about additional information about Foster Care
- Supervises Foster Family Support Specialists
- Supervises Foster Family Recruiter/Trainer
- Provides crisis intervention counseling to children and Foster Parents when needed.
- Attends in-house meetings of the Community Education and Family Support Management Team and the Casa de los Ninos All-Staff Meeting.
- Offers pertinent in-service education to Casa staff.
- Is available to speak or present on child welfare issues and participates in various community activities as appropriate
- Prepares written reports related to the Foster Care Program as requested
- Determines the daily number of admissions available in the Foster Care Program
- Prepares monthly statistics as required including, but not limited to a comprehensive list of those seeking placement at Casa, but who were unable to be accommodated.
- Oversees and administers the accreditation requirements for the Foster Care Program.P
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must drive and/or transport clients on behalf of Casa de los Niños.
In addition, the Foster Care Program Supervisor coordinates social services to the children and families served by the residential program by accomplishing the following duties shared with other Social Work staff. He or she:
- Advocates for Casa’s Foster Families and the children placed in their homes.
- Contributes to the service plan for each child by participation in staffings as needed.
- Attends appropriate community staffings that concern children in Foster Care with Casa de los Niños.
- Provides information and referral to Foster Families and the community.
- Coordinates the exchange of information with Child Protective Services children admitted into Foster Care by the State.
- Acts as liaison between Casa de los Niños and children’s legal representation and Court Appointed Special Advocates.
- Provides legal testimony for cases involving Casa de los Niños’ Foster Care Program if necessary.
- Adheres to agency policies & procedures
- Acts as a role model within and outside the agency
- Performs duties as workload necessitates
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management skills and ability to prioritize workload
- Meets department performance/productivity standards
- Must complete New Hire Orientation Training
The position requires an MSW and post-master’s degree work in a helping profession with experience in the areas of child welfare, mental health and crisis intervention. Must be able to provide culturally responsive services to a diverse population and to model and train same. Effective verbal, written, and organizational skills are essential, as is the facility to maintain focus on given tasks in the midst of numerous demands. The ability to interact in a professional manner with staff, community professionals and general public are also necessary to the position. The position includes occasional interaction with children that could include picking up a child as heavy as 40 pounds. Must have a valid Arizona driver’s license and meet coverage qualifications of the Casa de los Niños automobile insurance provider.
Other Relevant Information
- The Foster Care Program Supervisor works closely with the Director of Child & Family Services, and interacts regularly with other members of both the Residential Management Team and all prevention services.
- The Foster Care Program Supervisor has regular contact with the Specialists, Shift Managers and Primary Care Workers.
- He or she is responsible for the direct supervision of Foster Family Support Specialists, Foster Family Recruiter/Trainer and student interns within the Foster Care Program.
- The nature of the position involves a stimulating work environment within which several tasks may be underway at any given time. Facility in electronic and paper record keeping is essential.
- Please inquire with Supervisor.
Level of Supervision:
- A low level of supervision is required although frequent interaction with Director of Child & Family Services is expected.